Thursday 9 October 2014

Erskine Falls


So the other day my boyfriend and I decided to take a small holiday/road trip to Anglesea for a few days so that the Uni holidays weren't completely wasted eating ice cream and flicking through every social media news feed I have access to. SO, on the day we decided to drive to Lorne it was somewhat cloudy and rain was predicted in the afternoon, however, due to time constraints we decided to go to Erskine Falls regardless.
Lorne is approximately a 25 minute windy drive along the great ocean road (photo is below) from Anglesea IF you don't stop the car to take photos of the view or to be sick from looking down at instagram in the car.
But when you do get to Lorne, Erskine Falls is an extra 15-20 minute drive (approximately 11 km) into the forest.




Now be warned. There is one major waterfall that is roughly around 200 metres down steps to get to, but there are two different lookout points that have views of the same waterfall from different angles/heights. The 'lower falls lookout' at the bottom (where I took the photo below) is definitely the most popular to take photos/selfies with the waterfall.







At the lower lookout point there is another sign giving you the option to keep walking (more like hike/crawl/slip/and get muddy). It doesn't say on the sign but it is 7.4 kilometres I think, but trust me, it honestly felt more like 13 kilometres. Maybe it's from crossing the stream really slowly on really slippery (mossy) rocks that protruded out of the water or getting on all fours to go under fallen trees, but it was definitely challenging and I would definitely recommend taking water or even a snack with you. It's even more fun if you have a really enthusiastic buddy to endure it with as the walk is long and I personally got to the point where I was fantasising out loud about the greasy fast food kiosk that was conveniently going to be waiting at the end of the trail (lol jokes, I wish). As it was lightly raining throughout our walk, it was probably more slippery and more life threatening - for my HTC- so I would really recommend taking a back pack and don't do what we did (brought absolutely nothing).
However, if you want to put yourself and the life of your phone on the edge theres nothing wrong with being a minimalist. And besides, drinking from the stream wasn't actually that bad; the water was clear and had no odd taste.
If you make it to the end of the trail it leads to a caravan park that is situated at the entrance of Lorne where you would have driven past (if you came from Anglesea). So I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT LEAVING YOUR CAR BACK AT THE ERSKINE FALLS ENTRANCE. I'm shouting this through the screen at you because we did, and it became a nightmare. Burning the extra calories walking another 12 km to the car wasn't worth it because it did not make my thighs look anything like Miranda Kerr's (that was another fantasy I had on the trail walk when I was losing the plot).

All in all, I would definitely do it again and I really recommend it, even as a secret spot to swim, but I would really reconsider taking a backpack, food, and water next time I decided to tackle this again.




Happy exploring, 
Kira




No comments:

Post a Comment